Nothing Says “Fire” Like Moose Poop

Date October 25, 2011

In a mad fit of work avoidance last Saturday, Benton and I busted out the milk crate of firestarter-making supplies and got busy. This was a milk crate in my workshopt that had slowly been accumulating all of the necessary ingredients:

• Egg cartons (Carson eats 4 eggs a day for breakfast these days…followed by a couple of waffles; these were easy containers to come by!)
  • Sawdust (courtesy of the collection bag on my dust collector)
  • Old used/warped candles (courtesy of my parents)
  • Dried moose poop (also courtesy of my parents…who stopped on the side of a road in Alaska and collected a large bag once they were told that moose scat was an excellent firestarter)

Growing up, I made firestarters with these same basic ingredients sans the moose poop (not a whole lot of moose wandering around Sour Lake, Texas), but, let’s be honest, dried excrement makes any project more exotic!

We mashed up the poop:

Moose Poop and Sawdust Firestarters

We melted the candles (the initial attempt to line the pan with aluminum foil was not successful, but the pot cleaned up fine with a couple of rounds of boiling soapy water):

Moose Poop and Sawdust Firestarters

We filled the egg cartons with a mix of moose poop and sawdust and then poured in the melted wax:

Moose Poop and Sawdust Firestarters

Moose Poop and Sawdust Firestarters

After cooling for an hour or so, we cut up the cartons and had 3 dozen firestarters!

Moose Poop and Sawdust Firestarters

We used one to start a fire in our firepan in the driveway that evening, and it worked like a charm! We should be set for the winter.

10 Responses to “Nothing Says “Fire” Like Moose Poop”

1. Neogercowincows said:

old vegas slots pch slots

2. uncopuctHof said:

vegas slots online free play slots for free win real money

3. JeremyNen said:

мастерский веб ресурс http://xn--blck-d-x0a.biz

4. Edwardacems said:

гидра2веб – гидра2веб, гидра магазин

5. Charlesrearl said:

атермальная тонировка – сколько стоит зеркальная тонировка, установка атермальной пленки

6. GeorgeLax said:

гидра зеркало – hydra сайт, Гидра анион

7. ambercrou said:

Hello ,
    I’m Amber Crouch.
    If you’ve ever been too tired and couldn’t finish a academic paper, then you’ve come to the right place. I help students in all areas of the writing process . I can also write the assignment from start to finish.
    My career as a professional writer started during high school. After learning that I was very skilled in the field of academic writing, I decided to take it up as a job .

Talented Academic Writer- Amber Crouch- Newbiestudios Company

8. RichardGar said:

большой вебресурс http://partnerskie-programmy.net/798-partnerka-vebkamov-xlovecash.html

9. MariusTic said:

Hi, I recently came to the CS Shop – Cheap Software Store – Windows 7 Ultimate.
    They sell OEM Microsoft software, prices are actually low, I read reviews and decided to buy Excel 2019, the price difference with the official website is 30%!!! Tell us, do you think this is a good buy?

purchase windows 7 professional permanently
    The experience was higher than that I get from other stores and I am glad that I was served professionally and very quickly.

10. Richardesoff said: