Summer Trip 2011 — Part 1 of ? — Angliers, Quebec

Date July 17, 2011

We seem to have settled into a nice pattern of repeating the cycles of our respective youths, in that the “lengthy summer road trip” is becoming an annual event.

This year, we started off with a 14-hour drive to Angliers, Quebec, Canada, where Julie’s aunt and uncle have had a cabin on Lac des Quinze for the past 40 years (that’s 40 years of steady expansion and improvement in support of a large family — easily qualifying as a “resort” without even factoring in the warm and entertaining hosts!). After 3 full days there, we loaded up the family again and drove 13.5 hours to my folks’ cabin on Rangeley Lake in Maine (“funny” story: up until the day before we left on the first leg of the trip, Julie thought that the second leg was going to be 4.5 hours; it turns out that Googling directions from “Quebec” to Rangeley, ME, is sort of like googling directions from “Texas” to New Orleans, LA — it’s a big province!).

We did manage to leave my suitcase behind in Canada, which, luckily, turned out to be  pretty minor blip in the trip. I’ll get those clothes back at some point!

One thing we learned this summer is that our kids have become seasoned road-trippers. We initially planned on a 6:00 AM departure for the first leg of the trip, and we expected that leg to take two days. The kids took turns lobbying for an earlier departure (!), and we wound up “compromising” on 5:00 AM…and then managed to be on the road at 4:45! AND, the kids eschewed breaks to stretch their legs so much that we completed the trip in a single day. We repeated the exercise for the second leg of the trip (not leaving until 4:50 AM…we were on vacation, after all, so should be forgiven the 5-minute slippage!).

After a couple of days there, Julie drove me down to the airport in Portland, ME, to fly back to Columbus. She then stuck around with the kids for the week in Maine before driving to New York to see friends and relatives for the next weekend, and then on back to Columbus.

<whew!>

Kicking off with a few pictures from the first leg of the trip:

View from the Cabin (Carson on the Dock)

View from the Lyren Cabin

The Cabin

The Lyren Cabin viewed from the Dock

Trolling with Uncle Bill

Trolling for walleye

Setting Unrealistic Expectations for How Many Walleye Can Be Caught in 1.5 Hours

Walleye catch!

Carson Could Hardly Wait to Eat Them!

Walleye catch!

It Wasn’t All About Fishing, Though

Off the dock!

Tubing with the Seadoo

Aunt Elaine Got “The Look” When She Questioned the Dungeonmaster

Carson gives Aunt Elaine a piece of his mind

Oh, Yeah, Did I Mention They Have Four Laying Hens?

Alana and Uncle Bill pet the chickens

Carson and Alana with the chickens

I culled down the photos as best I could…but still wound up with a few more than are posted here. You can check the full set out (44 pictures) on Flickr.

35 Responses to “Summer Trip 2011 — Part 1 of ? — Angliers, Quebec”

1. Bob said:

You guys have grown up with a different definition of “cabin” than I. The “cabin in Maine, the “cabin in Canada. I can see it now, the next time WE go camping and I tell the wife and kids we’re staying in a “cabin”. Looks like a really nice place. Any sailboats out there?

2. Tim Wilson said:

The only sailboat I saw was the single-sail little one tied to the ceiling in Canada. If (when) we go back, I suspect I’ll be pushing to haul it down.

3. Summer Trip Part 2 of ? — Rangeley, ME | Second Tree Blog said:

[...] like writing Part 1 of our summer trip and then not following up with Part 2 until two weeks later! Since that first post, I’ve made [...]

4. Art said:

Always great to see pix of Lac de Quinze and Angliers. I spent many WONDERFUL times there with friends and family. Altough I’ve been there many,many times over the years, I haven’t made up there in 5 years. To you and mon ami in Angliers, BONJOUR! Make sure that you have many good times there, in the beautiful canadian near north!

5. Linda Blase said:

Hi! Where exactly were these taken, if I may ask. Mt Dadd built a camp at the narrows of Lac des Quinzes in 42, and we went there for years, he co-owned it with another man, named Harry Danner. My Dad was Jack Mehlek. We used o go via boat, several miles over to the camp, there were several cabins, a main one, boat house, double dock, ice house, bath house, a big set up. We had no electricity in the old days, but got propane, later for the stoves. A man by the name of Columbe bought it, he owned the gas station in town, and my Mom eventually sold it to him, when my dad died. I’ve wanted to return there for years and try to find it, such wonderful memories, spent my whole youth, and even as a young adult up there, and am now almost 69. I’d leave for there in a heartbeat, it was quite a place in the days, and he hired guides, and the gals in town as cooks, the Columbe family, they had 13 children. They eventually cut a logging toad through to the point, and we crossed over by boat to the camp. An English guy living in town, cut ice in the Winter for the ice house, to be used in the Summer. Boy, did we ever catch huge fish in those days! There is a lake in the bush, behind the camp, about 5 miles, we hauled canoes back there and trolled, biggest fish you ever saw! Gaffed them. It was heaven! I am Linda, Jack’s youngest child. We cooked on a wood stove, and the tug from the upper lake used to boom logs to the mill in town, amd I’d walk the boom. Like to see a kid do tjat in these days! Such adventures I had! Treeded by a moose once! Have you ever heard of the place? Just on a whim, I’m checking. Thanks so much, my best, Linda

6. Andrew said:

Awesome to hear of others having such a good time on Lac de Quinze. I am leaving for there in just a few short weeks. My family has owned a cabin on Red Pine Point for 25 years. To Linda, I believe I know of the cabin you are talking about. I have seen the name “Columbe” marked on one of the signs outside of a private drive. Il take a picture when I go. Could be one of two little lakes in the bush. Never fished them though.

7. Linda Blase said:

Hi! Super! We used to leave from town, go via boat, to the camp, five or so miles, going to the right. It was located on the opposite shore, at the narrows of the lake. Whne the booms used to come down, they tied them to the pines, just about the camp. There was a main cabin with LR, kitchen, porch, and it has a large white cross on the main building, a double dock out front with winch, we ha a Lyman inboard, 5 18 footers, lots of canoes. There was a boat house, ice house, two guides cabins, and several sleeping cabins, plus a bathhouse, water beig pumped from the lake, heated by a coal stove in the john. It was a big set up, the land was leased. The cabins were hand built. Large stuff was hauled in by the tug, Olaf Hanson ran the tug. I noticesd Paul C. still runs a marina, and Golisnki had a dry goods store, and his name also appears on the Angliers directory. As you face the camp, to the right, there was somewhat of a logging road, going into the bush. 5 or so miles back, we hauled in the canoes, and fished! OMG, were they ever HUGE! I think I spotted an aerial view of exactly that small lake when I Googled it, I am, sure of it. It was not fished when we went back there, brother, we had to paddle to the shoreline to land them, or tip the canoe over! The water was very dark, almost black. very cool experience. it might have been a couple miles into the bush, but it felt like many, as the road gave out, then we plowed through the bush the rest of the way. Back in thoe days, we used a gaf hook to help land them. I tell you, the best bait I ever used, and I caught some monsters, was a red eyed wobble, silver spoon, red eyes. My favorite bait! I never changed it, and my luick never ran out either! I was only 5 when I learned to run an outboard, and have been fishing ever since! That place is on my bucket list, but I took a trip down menory lane via a walk by aerial view, was fantastic! I don’t think my Dad ever knew he would create such lasting memories, but he did! Heaven!

8. Andrew said:

I believe Paul still runs the Marina, however the dry goods/tackle shop you speak of is no longer open. It is unfortunate as it was the only place to buy Angliers labeled apparel. I am only 24 but understand that there have been roads put in place over the last 20 years. I want to say the cabins you speak of are still there but have been remodeled in the last few years. I could mark their location on a Google map and shoot it over. If you think it is the right area, I would be more than happy to send you some pictures! My e-mail address is arnoonan@yahoo.com Wouldnt mind you marking that small lake on a map either, always love exploring new fishing holes!!

9. Dave said:

I was trying to find Paul’s e-mail address when I stumbled onto this site, was also curious about pictures and camps on Lac des Quinze. A few years back, my brother was considering purchasing a piece of property on the lake, maybe 5 miles from the camp you are talking about, toward the town of Remigny. We decided to fish the lake and the only camp we found was I believe the one you are talking about. At that time, Paul’s brother owned and operated the camp. We spent a week at the camp, had to get to it by boat, but it is pretty much what you described. There are numerous buildings and it has a dock with a winch. I think we ended up staying there for a week vacation for 2 years. We booked for the 3rd year but shortly before we were to leave, Paul’s brother was informed by his doctor that he had to retire. We were less than a month away from going and had no place to stay. He told us his brother, Paul, had some rooms at the marina. We spoke with Paul and ended up staying there. That went on for the next couple of years and we became pretty good friends with Paul. My brother eventually did buy the property and after 5 or 6 years we did build a cabin. We still see Paul every year, he is still running the marina. We will be going up again in the next couple of weeks. It is very interesting to me to hear your story about the camp and how your dad built it. It’s ironic, before buying and building our cabin, we were considering buying the camp from Paul’s brother but the lack of electricity and ease of access probably kept us from doing that. Someone else has bought the camp and uses it today. I think they run it as a camp but all the times we are up there, don’t see alot of people there. Just one or two boats. Camp still looks nice from the water though. Your dad would be proud.

10. N. V. said:

To Linda Blase,
    Your comments made my day. Olaf Hansen is my late grandfather and it was nice to see he was well remembered and to have that image of him working away on the tug.
    As for the others, Golinski passed away and is survived by his wife and kids. Coulombe still owns the cabins and marina in town.

11. DENISE said:

Wow, not sure how I even stumbled upon this site, but sure did enjoy reading everyone’s comments! I’m in my 40′s now, but as a kid, my family drove from Madison Ohio to Angliers every summer! We stayed at Paul & Doris’, cabin#4, to b exact! Made great friendships with the locals, many fond memories of Luc, Pierre, & Rene Marcotte, Dennis and Guylaine Lampron, Nancy Golenski, Kenny, Luce, Aldo, Dino & Typhani Peluso, Patrick, Iannick and even Willie, the old Indian, wife “mommy” and his dog, “boy”. Remember boating out to some island to pick the best blueberries and being fascinated at old indian burial grounds in remote places. Of course, we fished day and night, walleye and pike, catching pike right off the dock on a red and white daredevil. Even learned to cut the “cheek meat” out of a walleye! Golinski’s was open back then and the hotel was the place to hang out. Loved walking to the damn, and falling asleep to it’s mighty roar.
    Visited the hydro at times, but folks thought it too dangerous, so that was very often. Anthony and Bernadette Peluso did stop to visit us in Ohio a few years back and what a sweet time that was! Your photos left me feeling sweet peace! Thanks for sharing!

12. Jim Walsh said:

My memories are fond but sketchy and slowly seeping back from the recesses of my mind thanks to all of your wonderful contributions. I was 9 or 10 years old. This was about 1964. Went to Angliers with my Dad, my brother, and a couple of my Dad’s buddies. They knew a fella from our area around Cleveland, Ohio that had this beauty of a cabin up there. I remember a quanset hut type garage with a big beautiful old car inside. There were a couple little boats at our disposal. Every day we’d go out on the open water and catch nice Northerns. One day Dad and his buddies went out very early and caught two big sturgeon, the only sturgeon I’ve seen all my life. I remember walking through woods and within a restricted area that I beieve was land owned by drilling/energy company. Eventually came to water and what I recall as a railroad tressle. I believe that is where we fished fast-flowing water at the base of a dam and caught nice walleye. You could spend endless afternoons catching huge bluegill in a variety of backwaters. An absolute gift from God, that experience. Thought I would have returned many times but never did. I think I must go soon. Could anyone recommend good cabin there now. Peace

13. Bill bares said:

Hi I used to go to the red pines cabins with my dad & brother back in the 50s I was 5 years old at the time the man that owned the place his name was Pete last name I can’t spell it was French my brother & dad had the same name Anthony bares my dad in the mid tol late 50s fathered a child there I can’t remember her name but I was told she had a little girl that means I have a sister there I would love to find her while I’m still alive both my dad & brother died along time ago I will be 62 years old this year I’m a disabled Vietnam veteran & I have what’s called agent orange I don’t have to much time left & I will be joining my dad brother & mother so if anyone can help me find her I would be very thankful I can be e- mailed at gto6971p@yahoo.com my name is bill thank you

14. Bill bares said:

I forgot to say we lived in Campbell Ohio & I remember her father coming to the house with her while she was carring the baby thanks again

15. Linda Blase said:

My Dad had a partner, Harry Danner, co owners, but my Dad was up there most of the time, at the camp, that’s what we called it. After my Dad died, my mother sold it the Paul Coulombe. His sister Therese used to work for us as well as several of his sisters in the early days. There was no electricity, we had a wood burning stove in the kitchen area of the main cabin, a LR with Franklin stove, and a screen in front porch. Short wave radio. Ice boxes (2) of them. Years later we had a propane refrig, and 3 burner like stove. Water was pumped from the lake to large tanks behind the main cabin, and from there to supply the bath house/shower/sink with running water, and a coal stove to heat the shower water! Same for the kitchen sink, and we had a tub behind the main cabin, on a shelf for doing he laundry and running water there as well. There were small wood burning iron stoves in all the sleeping cabins. They were all made of logs and by the locals. Bread was baked in an outdoor brick oven to the left of the main cabin and is was removed on a canoe paddle! A hand pump (well) was in front of that, just outside of the main cabin back door. Behind the main cabin was the cook’s cabin. and another for the guides behind the boat house. Pete and Violet (can’t spell it) T V Air Ish worked for us and Violet always made us moose skin beaded moccasins which were beautiful! they had a son named Raymond. A Lloyd King also worked at the camp, and Bobby Hunter from town cut the ice for us in the Winter and stored it in the sawdust in the ice house, that was hauled in by Mr. Hanson and his tug. He also hauled in the player piano we had in the main cabin! It was a really fantastic setup! When the tug and crew arrived, we’d all gather, drink ale, and have singalongs! It was great fun! Hansen boomed logs down the lake from the upper lake quite frequently and took them to the mill at Angliers. I used to walk the boom when it was tied up, and fish from it. They tied it up just before the camp to a huge pine along the shore and the boom stuck out into the lake, great fishing from it, but kinda slippery! What little kids did then, would have parents freaking out by today’s standard! I was just 6 doing this stuff and ran an outboard just fine, thank you very much! I’ll be back with more memories, what a place that was, the best!

16. 1:1 quality patriots #87 rob gronkowski blue 2011 womens field flirt super bowl xlvi stitched nfl jersey shop on our lucky friday the 13th saving said:

babyliss Announcement Networks Find The Updates Automatically
    1:1 quality patriots #87 rob gronkowski blue 2011 womens field flirt super bowl xlvi stitched nfl jersey shop on our lucky friday the 13th saving http://www.claims-review.com/images/nike-nfl-jerseys-kids/1-1-quality-patriots-87-rob-gronkowski-blue-2011-womens-field-flirt-super-bowl-xlvi-stitched-nfl-jersey-shop-on-our-lucky-friday-the-13th-saving.asp

17. budget crunching hits germany yellow soccer key chains 10% extra off on orders on $500 said:

Checklist of advantageous approaches to find out about babyliss before you’re left behind.
    budget crunching hits germany yellow soccer key chains 10% extra off on orders on $500 http://www.rees-rees.com/sculptor/cheap-arsenal-jersey/budget-crunching-hits-germany-yellow-soccer-key-chains-10-extra-off-on-orders-on-500.asp

18. cheap new style 140709 hater snapbacks 28 fast shipping said:

Avoid Whining And Initiate your very own babyliss Promotion Instead
    cheap new style 140709 hater snapbacks 28 fast shipping http://www.ropesandtwines.com/includes/girl-football-jerseys/cheap-new-style-140709-hater-snapbacks-28-fast-shipping.asp

19. january jamboree savings spree baseball miami marlins stitched new era 9fifty snapback hats 014 unbeatable price said:

Web business Rumor – babyliss Considered An Absolute Must In recent times
    january jamboree savings spree baseball miami marlins stitched new era 9fifty snapback hats 014 unbeatable price http://www.safehouse-security.com/images/team-jerseys-hockey-canada/january-jamboree-savings-spree-baseball-miami-marlins-stitched-new-era-9fifty-snapback-hats-014-unbeatable-price.asp

20. make it a bright holiday season discount christian louboutin bianca 140mm flannel pumps gray for sales said:

Current market Rumor : babyliss Thought of as A Necessity On the market now
    make it a bright holiday season discount christian louboutin bianca 140mm flannel pumps gray for sales http://www.oslomagedans.com/bilder/discount-louboutin-shoes-online/make-it-a-bright-holiday-season-discount-christian-louboutin-bianca-140mm-flannel-pumps-gray-for-sales.asp

21. christmas nike air max 2011 womens black pink trainers soaking up summer fun said:

babyliss Counterfeits : A Really Perfect babyliss ‘cheat’ Which usually Fools 94% of the purchasers
    christmas nike air max 2011 womens black pink trainers soaking up summer fun http://www.herkulesvegen.com/hus/nike-air-max-2011-women/christmas-nike-air-max-2011-womens-black-pink-trainers-soaking-up-summer-fun.html

22. hundreds of specials moncler classic women down jacket single breasted slim white outlet genuine said:

babyliss Knockoffs — A Good babyliss hack By which Fools 94% of the users
    hundreds of specials moncler classic women down jacket single breasted slim white outlet genuine http://www.tonsbergibk.com/bin/moncler-sweatshirt/hundreds-of-specials-moncler-classic-women-down-jacket-single-breasted-slim-white-outlet-genuine.html

23. discount moncler popular down jackets for women decorative belt coffee on sale online said:

What we should do to discover more about babyliss before you’re left behind.
    discount moncler popular down jackets for women decorative belt coffee on sale online http://www.dmbnewry.com/library/moncler-ski-wear/discount-moncler-popular-down-jackets-for-women-decorative-belt-coffee-on-sale-online.html

24. Dan Fritzsche said:

Back in the late 50′s early 60′s when I was 8 or 9 we used to go to Angliers and fish at a Danners camp which was a boat ride across the lake. An awesome place that was a friend of my grandfathers Arno Fritzsche. Don’t even know if its there anymore! Thanks for the memories!

25. Mark Schaeffer said:

To Linda Blase, my Mother is Marilyn Mehlek. My Grandfather is Jack Mehlek. My step Grandma is Edna. Scott Lally is my cousin. You and I share the same memories. I too was treed by a Moose. I would like to connect with you. Mark
    Mark@schaefferfamily.com

26. mcthecube.com said:

Within this location parents and kids tend to be more
    likely to open and reveal true ideas and emotions,
    therefore overcoming communication barriers. Without filter unclean water, it may create you very unwell, as well as in probably the most serious instances could lead to death, especially
    if you’re really far out within the wilds.

27. Linda Blase said:

Danner’s Camp and Mehlek, were one and the same. Harry Danner/Jack Mehlek originally built it starting about 1946/47. Mark, you are my step sister’s son! There were 6 of us, Nancy, Carol, Tommy, Molly, and Jack. I am Linda, the baby. The Camp as we called it, was the best place on Earth as far as I’m concerned and I’ve traveled the world. I’ve even gone as far as to take a virtual tour of Angliers on the internet, brings back memories! You have to picture a 6 year old running around in a 22 footer, trolling, glacial rock right below the surface, and hauling in a large Pike all by herself to appreciate a glorious childhood! Daddy was a splendid teacher, and I cannot believe to this day, I did what I did! When Olaf tied his tug and a big boom to a large pine a bit down lake from the camp, I walked and fished from the boom logs, which were large, wide, slippery, but flat! If I’d catch one, I have to walk the boom to shore to land it! Blueberry Hill is down the lake several miles, and that was an all day adventure, where we picked the fresh berries from those to tall hills, and Therese our cook, make huge delicious pies in a cast iron wood fired stove! OMG, delicious! Further down the lake on the left was an old abandoned church, left by the missionaries and a cemetery, and when the water was low and eroded the shoreline, parts of caskets, and bones were exposed. We did this trip at least twice each Summer and there were often black bear at the church site. Often times we made the 20 mile trek back under severe weather conditions and that lake could bring up quite a chop! It was quite an adventure and I remember tucked well into the cuddy cabin in the bow to stay dry! To visit again is on my bucket list, as it’s a short trip from 6 to 71! But the memories…………..they’ve lasted a lifetime, pretty much!

28. www.pz-news.de said:

naturally like your web-site however you have to test the spelling on several of your posts.
    A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it
    very bothersome to tell the reality however I will certainly come back again.

29. michael kors wallets 1860 census said:

My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on a number of websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform. I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be really appreciated!
    michael kors wallets 1860 census http://www.comedyman.com/?shop=michael-kors-wallets-1860-census&id=14725

30. moncler down coat women hooded windproof light tan said:

The very core of your writing while sounding reasonable in the beginning, did not settle perfectly with me after some time. Somewhere within the sentences you were able to make me a believer unfortunately only for a short while. I however have got a problem with your jumps in assumptions and one might do well to fill in all those gaps. In the event that you can accomplish that, I will certainly be fascinated.
    moncler down coat women hooded windproof light tan http://www.cornerstonelearningfoundation.com/?shop=moncler-down-coat-women-hooded-windproof-light-tan&id=11699

31. shoes online uk said:

Howdy are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own. Do you require any html coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

32. nike pas cher soldes said:

Hey just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.

33. Buy Nike Free 5.0 Find The Value That You Want To Buy And Try On said:

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My site has a lot of unique content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any techniques to help stop content from being ripped off? I’d definitely appreciate it.

34. cheap kicks online said:

Shop Luxury Items Outlet Online For Jordan 11 Concord For Sale In The Philippines Smashing Savings At Nike Air Jordan Outlet Online.In Luxury Items Store.You Can Get Wonderful Jordan Air Jordan 4 Retro ‘Green Glow’ Online Store At Nike Air Jordan Outlet.Don Miss The Chance To Buy The Cheapest Luxury.

35. lån 10000 said:

Gå til din viden om business venture.